Sunday, March 4, 2012

Italian Tortellini Soup

Back in high school my sister and I babysat some kids from our ward for a weekend. The lady told us to eat whatever we wanted. So we came across this leftover soup in her refridgerator and we were so glad that we did. Luckily, after some snooping we found where the recipe was and copied it down for our mother to make us ASAP! It was an instant family favorite. A while back my mom thanked the woman for such a wonderful recipe. The woman agreed that the soup was delicious but was confused as to how my mom had gotten the recipe ;)
That was a long story to say that this is delicious!
(To my family this is the Pickle one)

Italian Tortellini Soup from Kara Sullivan:

4c. fresh or canned tomatoes
1 lb. italian sausage
1 can 14oz. italian tomato sauce (if you can't find it just add some oregano to regular tomato sauce)
7c. Beef broth
1c. chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1c. sliced carrot
1tsp. basil
1tsp. oregano
----------
2c. sliced zucchini
1c. sliced mushrooms
1 diced green pepper
1/4c. fresh parsely chopped
1/2c.sliced dill pickles (my mom adds more) (DO NOT leave these out. They really add to the flavor of the soup. I don't even like dill pickles but they are good in this. Add them thank me later.)
2c. Tortellini or Ravioli
-----------

Combine first 9 ingredients and simmer 30 minutes
Then add bottom 6 ingredients to first
Cook until done- about an hour.

Serve with bread and you are good to go!