Sunday, May 2, 2010

Split Pea Soup

I LOVE split pea soup. I know that people turn their noses up at it just because of the color but if they tried it I am sure that they would change their minds. My Mom would always make chicken noodle or tomato for the kids to eat with grilled cheese and she would make herself Split Pea Soup(Campbell's brand not this recipe). I remember always asking for a taste of mom's soup b/c hers always tasted better...anything on mom's plate always tasted better and still does. This recipe is as close to Campbell's Soup as I have found and I am so excited. **Side note: I tried to make split pea soup 2 times before it worked-the problem was that my split peas were old and they wouldn't cook down. Good luck and I hope that the store you buy from doesn't sell you old peas!

1 pkg. split peas (they are in the dried beans section of the supermarket)
2 onions sliced thinly
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 pinch marjoram
3 stalks celery chopped
3 carrots chopped
1 potato diced
1 ½ lbs. ham bone

Cook peas as directed on package.
Put all ingredients in large pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender and peas are mushy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove meat and ham bone, cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to pot. *** Peas will dissolve and turn into mush.

No comments: